We've had two full weeks of classes now, and it makes me wonder if
summer even happened. At least this August has been fairly cool compared
to most.
HEALING
Before I get too far along I should report
that Jenna is doing well. She endured a lot of pain initially, which
brought nausea along with it, but that seems to have subsided for the
most part. She's still wearing a leg brace that keeps her knee straight
while walking, but she is able to move round and do most things for
herself now.
She has an apartment at school this year. Juniors
are eligible for those. She and Macy, her roommate from the last two
years, are still together, and they've added two other good friends,
Mattie and Katie. We moved most of Jenna's furniture on Thursday, and
Vicki dropped her off at school yesterday. Her classes start Tuesday.
Jenna
will be hobbling around campus for a few weeks. She opted to leave her
car at home until she can bend her knee a little better.
SCHOOL SCHEDULES
One
of the biggest blessings of being at Davidson Academy is that I get to
see the boys during their school day. I try to give them plenty of space
to be themselves without my presence being a large shadow, but still,
it's nice to see them around. This is Ben's senior year, so I'd better
soak it up with him.
Ben's schedule is pretty rigorous again this
year. He's signed up for AP Calculus, Economics (as an independent
study), AP English Literature, Foundations of Christian Faith, AP
Physics II, Graphic Design, Comparative Worldview, Current Events, and
Senior Research Project (some of these are semester courses).
The
Senior Project is sort of a capstone course at DA where seniors get to
choose a topic for research. Then they have to write a research paper as
well as deliver an oral presentation. This seems to overtake life for
most seniors, so I'm sure I will report on this over the next few
months.
Nate is entering his sophomore year and will be studying
Algebra II Honors, Chemistry Honors, English II Honors, Health, Spanish
II, US Government, World History, and New Testament (again, some of
these are semester courses).
I am teaching my 8th grade STEM
class again, and this spring I am going to offer a high school version
as an elective. I am moving to a new classroom in a new portable behind
the school. Unfortunately, the portable isn't ready yet, so for the last
two weeks I've been teaching on the stage in the gym. Not ideal, but
we've made it work.
The boys have also geared up to run Cross
Country again this fall and have already logged some respectable times.
Nate was within 20 seconds of his personal record yesterday. Ben is also
looking forward to his final season on the basketball court this
winter. It's going to be a full and busy year.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
We've
celebrated two birthdays since I wrote last. Ben's birthday was on the
3rd. It's hard to believe that Thursday's Baby is now old enough to
vote! The Cross Country team surprised him with donuts after practice
that morning, and we celebrated with a meal over at Mom's that evening. I
celebrated my 52nd birthday on the 13th. We had my family meal over at
Mom's the day before.
Joe