Last week it got warm. This weekend a cold front moved through. It was 15° F when I got up this morning. This sure keeps your sinuses messed up.
THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! Yes, we went to see the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus Thursday evening. We had a blast! We saw the Circus of Dreams show (put on by their Blue Unit--there are three units).
We got there early for the pre-show. This is where you can walk around on the floor and meet the circus actors. Clowns abound, of course, and we were greeted by two clowns right off the bat. I wish I could remember the names of these characters as they were so nice to us and made us feel welcome. They set the mood for the rest of the evening for me. While on the floor we saw juggling acts, acrobatic acts, hat flipping acts, etc. They also brought out the elephants but the crowd was too thick for us to get close. (By the way, this is the one time a year they melt the ice on the floor at the GEC. If they don’t the 3 ton elephants will ruin it.)
When we got to our seats we were treated to a great show. This particular show has been written to not use the traditional circus rings. I think Vicki’s favorite were the horses. The kids loved the Siberian Tigers and the clown car race, but really, it’s pretty hard to to choose a favorite act. The seven motorcycles in the 18 foot spherical cage was cool too. I could go on....
It was late by the time the show was over. When we got out on the street the boys were impressed with the Bat Building (the BellSouth tower). When we got in the van Ben asked, “Can we go home and go to bed now?”
LET THE MIND GAMES BEGIN. Ben came home from school Wednesday (the day before we went to see the circus) complaining that his throat was hurting. Seeing this several times before we suspected strep so Vicki made an appointment with the doctor for the next day. One method of fighting this is with an injection which, much to Ben’s dismay, is given in the rear end rather than the arm. Vicki was glad they had this shot on hand as the pink medicine makes him hard to live with after four days. Did I say that Ben was not at all happy about this?
Well, he survived his shot and felt fine by that afternoon when we took off for the circus. Now Ben is telling Jenna that older kids only get their medicine in the rear end when they see the doctor. I think she’s bought into his “tail” too!
MY WIFE CAN SING! But I’ve known that for the past 14+ years. I reported back in June that she sang the first verse to Fairest Lord Jesus. Yesterday she sang all of Ancient Words and did a great job! I am really proud of her. This has been hard for Vicki as she has battled severe stage fright ever since I’ve known her so yesterday was a major accomplishment. I am so glad her audience is now greater than me, the kids and the shower.
Ancient words, ever true,
Changing me, changing you,
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart....
Joe