Saturday, October 9, 2004

FALL BREAK!

Our trees are starting to show their colors now. They haven't changed completely but there will be a big difference by next week. I always enjoy watching the trees turn colors. A small part of me is sad that I won't be around to see it this week. Our schools are closed for fall break and we are packing for a vacation to Florida!


I'VE GOT TO BRAG. I meant to put this in the last edition. It was that thing that kept eluding my memory until I clicked send. Last Saturday Vicki had a couple of meetings and was gone all morning. While I was cleaning up after breakfast Jenna made up all the beds and folded the laundry without me even asking her to do it. Sunday Jenna and I rode to church together. Since we were running late Ben offered to make up her bed for her and then made up mine and Vicki's bed. I guess I should enjoy this now.


AN EMBARRASSING CONFESSION. Okay, it has been two or three months since we ran a dust mop under our bed. Ben and Nate chased a toy that had rolled under the bed the other day and discovered other toys that had sought refuge from rough playing boys under there. When Ben came to the kitchen to show us some of the toys they had found we burst out laughing. Unknown to him he had several dust bunnies stuck to his hair and shirt.


SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS. Jenna had a fun day at school on Friday. Her class started the day with a field trip to the Purity Dairy processing plant. Vicki got to go as a chaperone. Jenna really enjoyed it but Vicki was disappointed. Since 9-11 they no longer allow tours of the facility. They show visitors a film of how milk and ice cream are made that was produced in the 1970s. At least they all got an ice cream sandwich. The trip to McDonald's made up for it.


That afternoon they returned to school to participate in the PTO sponsored walk-a-thon to raise money for the school. We don't know how much was raised but they exceeded their goal of $18,000 so the principal will have to do the hula dance in front of all the students now.


HE'S NOT LIKE THE OTHER TWO. Jenna and Ben were not climbers. Nate is. Like I said last week, he is not to be trusted. The other day Pauline walked into the room to find him sitting on the table. Thursday Nate was tired of playing with Ben and went into his room and closed the doors to play alone. Several minutes later Vicki went in the room to put away some clean clothes and found him sitting on his dresser. Today he spied Jenna's bubble gum on the kitchen table. Fortunately I found him before he had put it all in his mouth.


PACKING. The kids are all excited about the trip, especially the plan to go to Disney World. Ben has been praying that God would take care of Mickey Mouse for a couple of weeks. Tonight Mom and Aunt Mar treated us with takeout from KFC. When we got home we put Nate to bed and told Jenna and Ben they could pack whatever they wanted for entertainment in their backpacks. Ben was so excited about packing for the trip that he kept getting louder and louder. After the umteenth time of asking him to lower his voice (and he really was trying to stay quiet) he finally said, "My voice just can't help it Dad."


Later, after he was in bed, I checked his backpack to make sure he hadn't packed anything that didn't need to go. I found several books, a [spinning] top, a helicopter, and two pair of underwear.


Joe